Sunday, April 03, 2011

Vindicare Part 1 - Strike a Pose

Well, it's been a while since I have done a hobby update here. Life keeps me busy, and even though I don't always get a chance to update the blog, I'm still doing hobby stuff.

But this weekend, after the monthly gaming night with the friends and discussing our hobby progress for the year so far, I decided to give updating the blog a bit more priority. Partly so they can easily see what I'm working on, and to help keep us all inspired (especially me since I've been losing inspiration lately).

In February, I spent much time experimenting with paints and such, mostly trying out a bunch of my new Vallejo Paints, after I had recently purchased the full Vallejo Game Colour, and the full Vallejo Panzer Aces paint sets. I've been using Vallejo for a long time, just have difficulty getting it here, so needless to say, getting both of these full sets, and at such good prices, was definitely a happy day.

I also decided I would break out the airbrush and start using it more for painting table top miniatures. The primary reason is that priming models during the winter months is a lot harder to do with spray primers, often being forced to do it indoors. The fumes from spray primers are particularly nasty healthwise, and having the residual smell in the house is unpleasant. Where with the airbrush, I can prime models to my heart's content without the fumes overwhelming the house, which I know my wife and pets all appreciate!

The main subject for February's experimentation was a Games Workshop Vindicare assassin. Specifically, this model:

By way of an explanation, I have posed the Assassin so his rifle is slightly at rest, to give him more of a sense of readiness, as opposed to the "Here are my guns!" pose prevalent in the late 90s that he originally has. This required a little green stuff work to fill in the shoulder joint.

The model was also mounted on a resin base from Dark Art Miniatures. They are rather nice easy bases to work with, with lots of flat surfaces. They are also easy to drill, for pinning your models to, but not so soft that they crumble after drilling, and not too hard that they shatter.

Anyway, I went with this basic base as it gives a nice generic base for me to use for the model, allowing it to be used on nearly any table. I know that basic stone and dirt bases are very easy to make, but I rather like their stone bases, though I really only got them to fill out an order when I bought some lava bases, which these will be complimenting for the army that gets those lava bases, as rough volcanic rock. But that's another story.

One other thing you might notice is that this miniature appears shaded. Well, that's a side effect of age. Tins oxidize as they age, and you often get a brownish tinge on older models if they have not been previously sealed. No real harm as this is sealed with the primer and paint. But I was able to use this oxidation as a visual clue to gross flash and mould lines. A trick you can use that helps you see flash and mould lines better, and similar to this, is to give your model a generous wash of black or brown ink. It really makes them stand out without harming your model.

Related Article:
Vindicare Part 1 - Strike a Pose
Vindicare Part 2 - Back in Black
Vindicare Part 3 - For the Gold

Vallejo Paints
Dark Art Miniatures

No comments:

Post a Comment