Sunday, June 01, 2014

Release the Bulls! Minotaurs Space Marines

Hey all.

Well, it's time for me to come out of hiding and show you what I'm working on now. It's been a slow go with all of Real Life's interruptions, but I'm making some progress.

After much discussion with my friend Dave about our mutual interest in the Badab War books and making new armies from those books, this year I'm working on a Minotaurs army for Warhammer 40K. Though it's been a long time in the planning and acquisition stage in terms of finding just the right bits, and getting the right Forge World models, this is a new army I'm starting, and hoping to actually have 1500 points done by the end of July for the 2014 Astronomi-Con Toronto tournament.


As a member of several forums, I am trying to use their painting challenges to help me keep this project moving forward. But that deadline is looming larger every day, and I've been having lots of challenges which keep slowing this project down. So I'm hoping the challenges and posting on the blog again will help me achieve my goal.

I've unfortunately not got a final list, as I'm hemming and hawing about it and trying to decide on how I want to play the army. I have narrowed it down to 4 different lists, but ultimately at this point, it might just come down to what models I've got that decides the final list, as I can't currently build two of the lists due to lack of drop pods.

One of my other issues is largely a paint issue. To do this project I wanted to use the Vallejo Liquid Gold brand of paint. I ordered a couple of the Liquid Gold series of paints from Vallejo for this project, but it took a long time to receive them. It's quite difficult to get them here for some reason... so this put a lengthy delay on the start of painting.

To start with, I've built up a tactical squad. This was the first squad to hammer out the imagery I'm going for, and I quite like how it's come out.

Here are a bunch of WIP shots I took during the build.

The first few show me doing a test fit of the Veteran Sgt. He's got a combat shield and power spear/lance, to suit the theme.

The shield is from Anvil Industries. The Head is from Puppetswar. And the spear was converted with GW bits.

Image

Image

Image

Next are some assembly photos showing the squad coming together. The combat shield was modified with green stuff, to make the bolt pistol integral to the shield, like on the command squad combat shield.

Image

Image

And finally the complete squad, from several angles.

Image

Image

Image

Links:
Astronomi-Con
Games Workshop
Forge World
Puppetswar
Anvil Industry

No comments:

Post a Comment